Friday, January 20, 2012

Mujeres en la calle

January 19, 2012 -  Today was one of those days that is so long and varied it feels like three days. I hope I can remember all the stories I wanted to communicate.

First, a sad story, I mentioned the cruise ship that sank to one of my professors today and he told me that he used to work on that ship and knew the girl from Cuzco who disappeared (and presumably is dead). Very sad. Apparently a lot of people from Peru work on cruise ships.

Then, during lunch, I was having a funny conversation with my host mom about men and loyalty and she was telling me about how many men here keep “mujeres en la calle” in other words, girls on the side and that I should be happy that my husband is tranquilo (translation doesn’t run around on me). Then she said her husband had two mujeres en la calle and I looked at her husband assuming she was joking and he didn’t say anything. Later they had an argument while I was siesta-ing. AWKWARD! But also very sad if that is the reality for many women here.

In the afternoon I had more classes in Spanish and in salsa! I learned the first eight steps of salsa and wasn’t too shabby.

Now time to do some homework in preparation for my last day of classes and then, off to Puno Saturday a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment