Sunday, January 15, 2012

Estoy aqui


Well, I am finally here. I can’t believe it. Seems like just yesterday I was hoping I might get to do my practicum abroad and even more recently that I began planning this trip. I experienced a whirlwind of emotions saying goodbye to everyone and then on the long plane ride here last night. Three flights, three trips through security, not much sleep, and two near breakdowns later, and I settled into a nervous anticipation.

Flying into Lima was beautiful, sort of like San Francisco the way the ocean sneaks up all of a sudden. But Cuzco seemed even more amazing to me. The zigzagged patterns of land stretched across jagged mountains – much like Ecuador – are breathtaking and mindboggling at the same time. And today was an unseasonably warm day in both cities, sunshine and more over 70 degrees. My delight with the weather and the beautiful views continued when I walked out and saw my driver holding a sign with my name in big block letters.

I’ll never forget that feeling of relief. I remember when Mike and I booked our Costa Rica honeymoon online we felt that sense of relief when we arrived, glad the whole thing wasn’t a hoax. I felt the same when I landed in Guatemala City, fearing kidnappers and rogue taxis. And in India when I found out the whole group I was traveling with got re-routed except me, but there was Netra to pick me up. The only time my ride ever fell through, also in India when I arrived at Delhi train station late one night, was one of the most terrifying nights of my life. Everything turned out fine but you better believe the hotel manager got a piece of my mind that night.

But anyways, back to Peru, everything went smoothly and my driver, Rene, was a very nice man who gave me an impromptu tour of Cuzco in the short drive to my host family’s house.

Senora Chacon met me at the front door and I was later introduced to her husband, Pancho, and one of their two sons, Dennis, who is about my age. Their apartment is small but cozy with a nice size bedroom where I’ll be staying for the week. They have a tall white cat who like my old Boo kitty (now J-man’s) is very vocal. Senora Chacon immediately began cooking lunch for me while I got settled. I came out to find a steaming bowl of soup with rice and beef. I forced myself to finish it all, not wanting to seem rude, and then she brought out the actual almuerzo – a giant plate of meat, potatoes, rice, and tomato salad. Dios mio. So I sucked it up and made it through nearly the entire plate. I truly might gain 20 pounds while I’m here. Interestingly I found out later that my family does not customarily eat dinner, but Senora Chacon cooked for me (a delicious omelette and more rice). I told her she could feel free to cook a little less for me so as not to waste any food.

My only other homestay experience was in Guatemala where my family hosted several students at one time. This made it a little less awkward to find things to talk about at meals. But I made it through lunch ok and they complimented me on my Spanish (that may be a first!).

In the afternoon I walked around Cuzco. What started as a mission to find an internet café (which was not hard, it’s right across the street) turned into an hour and a half walk because I hadn’t exchanged my soles for small bills at the airport and since it is Saturday no where wants to give you their change. But my hunt was a good excuse to get lost in Cuzco and while it started to rain for about 10 minutes it quickly stopped and ended up being a beautiful day. The city reminds me of Antigua, Guatemala, only bigger and a little dirtier. My eyes hurt a bit from all the dust and exhaust but it certainly is not the dirtiest place I’ve been. The architecture is beautiful and colonial style like Antigua. In fact the Plaza de Armas is nearly identical. Cuzco is also very touristy like Antigua. Every other storefront is a tourist shop offering trips to Machu Picchu and various adventure hikes. There are also lots of cool artisan boutiques like in Antigua, which I will probably wait to check out until Kristy is here (and maybe I can send her home with my purchases!).

I’m sure my updates won’t always be so long but I am staying in tonight, just reading and relaxing, so I figured I’d type this up and try to post it tomorrow. Also the temperature dropped tonight and it is super cold in the apartment without a heater. I’m bundled up in my new PJs from mom plus a fleece. Tomorrow, time to learn my way around and find my school.

Buenas noches.




1 comment:

  1. I don't think I ever heard about the time in India either. We'll definitely need to figure out how I'm getting to the hotel (hopefully they have pick up service) and where I'm meeting you!

    ReplyDelete