Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Test, Test, and Test Again

February 15, 2012 - I learned a very valuable lesson today. In class our professors (especially Dr. Baird) always talk about the importance of testing surveys, and of course I would never do one without testing, but that said, nothing prepared me for how horrible my first few results were going to be. Several respondents skipped entire pages. They answered no but still marked selections for the "if yes, then" questions. I realized one entire section of questions only had responses for never, in the last year, or in the last two years, leaving anyone who had done the procedure more than two years ago with nothing to select. I found out indirect questions like "edad" were confusing when "cuántos años tiene" is much easier. Only six people tested it and I changed almost every question in the survey, even if only slightly.

So, later this week I'll hopefully have my new and improved survey approved and ready for more testing. Then next week, pending IRB approval, I'll be able to "poner en marcha" (start collecting surveys) during the two major health campaign days at the centers.

Unrelated note, I can now add "graffiti remover" to my resume. Never a dull moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment