Thursday, March 1, 2012

Poco a Poco

Apologies, I've been slacking on my blog as work picks up. Still awaiting IRB approval (what a nightmare) but I have been scheduling interviews and collecting surveys (that part isn't included in IRB, after many changes). Each day continues to have its ups and downs, such as yesterday. I had my first interview, just a practice one, and it went really well. I understood everything the woman said, and she seemed to understand me. She had an adorable 6-year-old daughter. We had a lovely conversation and I got some really good information.

Then, still riding the morning's high, I went in the afternoon to one of the centers to try to do more surveys and recruit more participants. In one group every woman except one declined to participate, so I had to stand there awkwardly while the one women (very slowly) filled in her survey and the rest seemed annoyed by my presence.

It is definitely hard being an outside researcher. And I completely understand why they feel the way they do. They've probably seen tons of outsiders come in, do research, and nothing changes. I myself have seen that in other projects I've worked on. I really hope that my research will make a difference in this case, and that Pro Mujer will make improvements that have a direct impact on its clients. The women I interviewed asked me about this very topic, and I told her about my plans to share the information with Pro Mujer so they can make improvements. She seemed pleased with my intentions.

It's also interesting how drastically different my encounters are with people around town. Take children for instance. One day at the center I was approached by a young boy, maybe 7 or 8, who walked right up to me unabashedly and said "Hi Gringa." He then proceeded to pepper me with questions about the U.S. He seemed delighted by my presence. Later that day, I was walking home and passed a small girl, maybe 3 or 4, and she pointed a stick she was holding at me and said "bang bang." I tried not to take it personally, but I have to admit it was a bit jarring to see this sweet face and then have her pretend to shoot you. Similarly, with the clients, some are happy to help and thank me for being there. Others ask pointed questions like "Why doesn't the U.S. do anything to help us?" That one really threw me, especially since Pro Mujer is a U.S.-based organization with many U.S. funders. But I try not to get too defensive in this situation, since I know the many atrocities the U.S. government has committed in this region in the past.

But, poco a poco, I'm getting my work done and growing more confident in what I'm doing. Here's to hoping the roller coaster continues on an upward climb...

No comments:

Post a Comment